If you're wondering about what version 8 of Drupal will bring in the way of changes, here is a summary. I would encourage you to look to look here for more information, and this article by Jeff Eaton.
- Drag & drop layouts
- Vastly improved internationalization
- Views (improved and optimized and) in core
- Redesigned services including using Symfony2 components for HTTP et. al.
- Twig templating
- Embrace HTML5 and be friendly with mobile, and responsive
- Configuration management and an architecture that separates config from content